Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Work of God in Us

I'm moving.  In a month.  Far sooner than I expected but right on time from God's perspective.  I'm leaving a fabulously beautiful, fun community to be closer to my family.  I can't wait.  Fabulous and fun are surprisingly empty when you're miles from your loved ones.  There's much to be said about a simple life filled with big love and lots of hugs.  Hugs are important.

As I was going through my things, trying (unsuccessfully) to downsize, I came across a poster from a bible study I lead many years ago.  I thought it was good stuff and wanted to capture it here.  New Christians often wonder...what will it be like, now that I've made the biggest (and best) decision of my life?  These five promises describe a bit the work that God does in us once we choose to follow Him.

- God promises to comfort us.  In times of trouble, loneliness, fear....He is always there.  He will never leave nor forsake us.

- God promises to calibrate us.  As we grown in our relationship with Him through quite time, prayer, and studying His word, He will reveal His thoughts on our behaviors, words, and deeds.  He will gently (mostly) convict us of those things that hinder our relationship with Him.  

- God promises to challenge us.  Life on this earth is hard, but the Bible says take heart for Christ has overcome the world.  Challenges give us opportunities to stand up for Jesus, opportunities to rely solely on Him, opportunities to stake our claim in His rich soil.  

- God promises to change us.  He won't leave us as the same person that first comes to us.  He loves us to much for that.  He came so that we may have life abundantly.  As we seek His will for our life and run in the path of His commands He will change us from the inside out.  Our friends and families will notice.  We will notice. 

- God promises to commission us.  Go forth and make disciples of men in all the nations....so the Jesus commands.  And He's gifted us with unique skills and talents to serve others and honor Him.  Seek Him with all your heart and He will reveal these to you.

We can trust in God's undeniable love as He comforts, calibrates, challenges, changes, and commissions us.  May you experience the joy and peace of living a life fully for Him and fully reliant on Him.

No comments: